ASBESTOS REMOVAL & TESTING SERVICES
Asbestos is the term used to describe a group of naturally occurring fibrous mineral silicates, that were used as a popular insulation and construction material. Asbestos is present in homes built between 1920’s to the 1980’s, during this era asbestos was a popular mineral as it was fire resistant and had relatively low cost. Asbestos can be found in a variety of places such as walls, flooring, paint and electrical. Asbestos is extremely toxic and the mineral is considered highly hazardous due to the fact that it can cause ailments such as mesothelioma, asbestosis and lung cancer. Western Environmental Solutions provides a variety of professional asbestos service including asbestos testing, asbestos removal & asbestos abatement.
TYPES OF ASBESTOS
Until banned, asbestos was used in more than 2000 building materials. Homes built before 1990 very likely contain asbestos materials somewhere. Asbestos containing building materials, when disturbed, can release asbestos fibres into the air where they can be inhaled. When found, it’s best to properly and safely have asbestos removed. New laws now make it almost impossible to get building permits without proving that you have tested for and properly removed any asbestos found before work starts. We offer a number of asbestos services for your home or business to remove the varying types of asbestos. Types of asbestos include:
- Chrysotile (white asbestos) is the most commonly used form of asbestos. It is found in over 95% of asbestos-containing products.
- Amosite (brown asbestos) has been used in sprayed coatings, heat insulation products, and cement products where greater structural strength is required.
- Crocidolite (blue asbestos) is now rarely found in B.C. & Alberta. Before 1973 it was commonly used in sprayed coatings on structural steelwork for fire protection, heat or noise insulation. It was also used in gasket materials and asbestos cement pipe.
- Vermiculite is commonly found in attics and came from Libby Mine in Montana which was later found to possess large quantities of asbestos
ASBESTOS HEALTH RISKS
Asbestos is a hazardous material. Its fibers are extremely fine and can remain suspended in the air for hours. People exposed to asbestos-contaminated air can inhale the fibers. If handled, asbestos may cause serious chronic health problems and even death. Asbestos services ensure that a property is properly mitigated of harmful asbestos materials, asbestos health risks include:
- Asbestosis is a chronic lung disease resulting from prolonged exposure to asbestos dust. The fibers gradually cause the lung to become scarred and stiff, making breathing difficult.
- Lung Cancer may be caused by asbestos fibers in the lung. Although it is unknown exactly how asbestos causes lung cancer, research has shown that the combination of smoking tobacco and inhaling asbestos fibers greatly increases the risk of lung cancer.
- Mesothelioma is a rare but aggressive form of cancer affecting the lining of the lungs or the abdominal cavity. There is a confirmed link between asbestos exposure and mesothelioma.
- Pleural Thickening may develop after heavy asbestos exposure. The lining of the lung (pleura) thickens and swells, causing shortness of breath and discomfort in the chest.
REQUEST A QUOTE
SCHEDULE A CONSULTATION TODAY!
Our Professional Asbestos Services
We provide industry leading knowledge and asbestos services. Becoming an industry leader in professional asbestos services such as testing and removal. We maintain the highest level of health and safety standards that coincides with our dedication to professionalism and commitment to customer service.